This is a general description but it comes pretty close to telling how Jeff Hydro works.
1. Stream flowing past intake and outlet points with sufficient flow and head to be worth hydroelectric development
2 .Trash rack or intake screen (Coanda wedge wire or bars with cleaner)
3. Intake water diversion structure, diversion gate valve and settling basin.
4. Diversion channel, canal, ditch or pipe at atmospheric pressure. Water flows at rate ‘Q’ from here to tailwater
5. De-silting header box for flow regulation into penstock where pressure builds and any water hammer can vent.
6. Bypass conduit to allow system to clean out silt buildup and vent any excess flow.
7. Penstock, main pressure building conduit. Must use care if head is large, 130 psi or greater. High head pressure can be dangerous.
8. Inlet regulation valve for turbine. This is the throttle for controlling power and system shutdown.
This valve regulates power into turbine to balance output from generator. Note: Turbine rpm will give right generator frequency.
9. Hydro Turbine or Wheel depending on type of system chosen (Impulse or Reaction)
10. Draft tube used in reaction turbine or simple atmospheric tailrace chamber
11. Tailrace, channel for slowing and redirecting water back into stream
12. Gear Box or Belt Drive to provide most efficient range of Turbine operation and maintain generator output at correct frequency.
13. Generator, most common types used are either synchronous or induction depending on power application
14. Power Switch & Breaker, Safety device to disconnect power
15. Transformer, AC conversion of generator output voltage to transmission line or use voltage.
16. AC Output to Load or Grid, Transmission line to point of use, voltage and current define loss based on wire gauge and distance.
17. Control and Monitor CPU, This unit maintains power in to turbine (flow) in balance with generator power (load) and safety monitor and override controls.
18. Communication Line, Connection to outside computer link via Web, RF, Phone or other connection. Allows remote monitor and control of complete system parameters.